12 September, 2010

Unexpected surprise: April 21, 2009


I woke up when the first light of day shone through the glass panes on my bedroom door. Without even looking at my watch, I knew it must be around 6am.  Too early.  I have nothing to do today.  My only plan is to attempt to re-run the route I botched yesterday.  I had run 3 miles out, then felt like I was getting heat stroke.  With the rainy season coming to an end, the days get incredibly hot.  I walked the entire 3 miles back to my house.  Since I wasn’t exactly looking forward to the only plan I had today, I went back to bed.  I figured the longer I sleep, the shorter the day will be. 

*Three hours later, I find myself standing in a large field, facing a 2000 pound bull while trying to grab its nostrils with metal pinchers designed specifically for the job. 

After I had decided to go back to sleep, I awoke several hours later to a knock on my door.  I was startled since my host family always let me sleep in.  I groped around for my glasses and stumbled to the door.  My host dad tells me there are Evangelical veterinarians from the United States in the next town where the other PC volunteer lives.  What?  He tells me they need a translator.  I’m so confused, but since confusion is my natural state here, I go with it.  I get dressed and we walk up to the next town.  My friend is on vacation, so I arrive in her town not knowing what to expect.

The scene I happen upon is comical.  There are a bunch of gringos wrestling with farm animals while their quechuan owners yank on the ropes in an attempt to control their livestock.  As it turns out, I had understood my host dad perfectly.  There were indeed a group of Evangelicals administering de-worming medicine to a plethora of animals.  Within a few minutes, they have welcomed me to their cause.  They are just so incredibly nice, funny, & English-speaking, that I ask if I can tag along.  They seemed just as pleased as I was to have me there.  They didn’t need a translator after all, because they brought three with them.  However, I continually make the mistake of talking Spanish to the Americans.  They are all from Macon, Georgia and travel 3 or 4 times every year to preach the word of Christ.  They have been coming to my village for the past 7 years.

In the next town, the pastor hands me a pair of metal pliers that look like medieval salad tongs.  I had asked if I could help in any way, maybe carry a bottle of medicine or something along those lines.  He says, “You’ve got the next bull.”  Alright.  I recall that Animal Science was my undergrad degree, but that seemed like lifetimes ago.  I’m excited to get my hands dirty again. 

I approach a panting bull with a rope tied around its horns.  In the states, there would be elaborate metal chutes to contain the beast.  But not here; we’re in the countryside 10,000 feet up a mountain in the Andes.  Five men are wrestling to get the bull’s head in a position where I can reach its nostrils without it mauling me.  I go in…pinch!  I squeeze that metal contraption with all my might while the vet runs in with the de-wormer.  Awesome!  People are coming from everywhere with their pigs, cows, bulls, sheep, and donkeys to receive their free de-wormer.  We’ve got a line of bulls ready to fight, and I’m pinching one after the other in adrenaline-filled bliss.


Deworm2Deworm1

When we’re done, I took a moment to enjoy the countryside around me.  I had no idea my day would bring me face to face with raging bulls and a group of fantastic people doing amazing work.   Every day is a surprise, and I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings.

_________________________________________________________________

Dear Carter, David, Julie, Amelia, Will, JB, MJ, and Hector,
I want to give a huge thanks to all of you, the amazing people I was able to assist in these two days.  It was truly a blessing to have you arrive and welcome me into your mission and hearts.  I can't wait to see those of you who will be returning in July, and hopefully several more times during the remainder of my service in Cashapampa.

No comments:

Post a Comment