12 September, 2010

Passing the Voice: April 16, 2010

A large part of what I do is communication.  In Spanish we say, “pasar la voz,” which literally means “to pass the voice.”  This morning I woke up to another beautiful sunny day.  There hasn’t been much of a rainy season this year, which gives me a slight uneasy feeling.  For one, the seeds I’m planting in the tree nursery will need almost daily care without the help of rain.  And two, the tourists will begin to arrive in masses to enjoy the 4-day Santa Cruz trek which starts in Cashapampa.  With not a cloud in the sky, I set out to the next town on foot, a mere 40 minutes’ stroll.  The benefits of walking there are mostly determined by whom I encounter along the way.  Walking past the plaza, I see the staff of the health post.  I stop to coordinate plans for a project they are starting called, “Healthy Schools.”  The staff of the health post had approached me for support on this initiative, since I can go into the schools and give talks on health issues related to the environment.  I wrote down the date for the next meeting and continue on my way.  Leaving the plaza, I run into one of the administrators of the rural internet project.  I’ve been asked to teach computation classes, but with only 3 of the 5 computers working, we need to get those fixed first.

No comments:

Post a Comment