10 September, 2010

Lessons learned on the black market: Sep 22, 2008

Finished with my first week.  I can successfully barter the kombi driver down to 40 centimos instead of 70.  (That´s somewhere along the lines of paying 15 cents instead of 45 cents.)  We went to Lima on Saturday for a course on soliciting taxi drivers down to a low price, then telling them nevermind.  We were then instructed to find our way home.  It was great.  I was joking to a fellow volunteer, ¨James,¨ that the other 3 members of our group got on one of a million buses while our noses were deep in a Peru travel book.  Just kidding!  Only that it happened 2 minutes later.  We look up and our friends are on the bus, and we are running to enter this large moving vehicle.  I love entering and exiting moving vehicles.  It is seriously my life.  This story goes to show to be careful about when you are joking around, it could possibly happen

I had a mission in Lima to buy a converter plug to power up my dead laptop, a watch so I don´t have to ask others for the time every 3 minutes, a pirated copy of the Dark Knight because I´m the only person in America who hasn´t seen it, and AA batteries for my dead digital camera.  I succeeded in every mission except for buying a watch.  I bought 3 pirated DVD´s for about 3 US dollars.  Halfway through the movie, it got horrible and couldn´t finish it.  Guess that´s another lesson from Peru.  You get what you pay for.  [Or less].  No worries, though.  It will only be 2 more years becfore I see the end of the movie.



No comments:

Post a Comment