12 September, 2010

Happy New Year 2009! Dec 31, 2008

I survived Christmas with my host family.  It was much better than expected, mostly because they do not drink alcohol like most Peruvians.  It was a relaxing day, spent eating good food and playing cards, relaxing in the sun, and laughing as I tried to speak Quechua.  It's a very strange dynamic that I'm learning Quechua via Spanish, when I'm still learning Spanish and have a far way to go.  

Christmas in Peru is not as "festive" as it is in the states.  There were no Christmas trees or decorations in my site, so it never really felt like Christmas.  But we came into the capital for New Year's and to celebrate a belated Christmas "American-style" with fellow volunteers.  We did a Secret Santa gift exchange and gave out our gifts over a dinner of crepes, wine, fudge, and cookies.  The restaurant was well-decorated and we all felt like it was finally Christmas.  We watched the debut of our music video that we filmed during our last visit to the capital.  Please watch it, it's hilarious!!  The music video was mostly filmed in the capital, Huaraz.  Yes, that's me walking through the meat market.  I was supposed to look around like I was overwhelmed by all the meat choices, then find something really spectacular.  Well, what was edited out was when I leaned over and hit my head on a piece of hanging meat.  Wish there was smell-o-vision, because the stench will knock your socks off.  There are some good views of our favorite hang-out, California Cafe.  You will notice a multitude of laptops and books because this is where we enjoy wifi internet and well-stocked library of books Peace Corps volunteers can borrow for free. 


Tyler has made several other videos of his site, and it really sums up how it is living here as a volunteer.  I think there's 7 right now.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tylerbrownaround


Happy Holidays and Best Wishes for a Prosperous 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment