12 September, 2010

Christmas in July : Jun 21, 2009

Greetings from Peru.  I'm still here!
Life has been very tranquilo here these last six months.  That means relaxing & tranquil.  Without the use of a laptop since March, I have been happily catching up on reading while I would have been spending my free time watching movies or tv series.  I've been on several hikes since the rainy season has ended, and now my clothes dry quickly on the clothesline outside!  Last month I worked with my village's Tourist Association in their annual trail clean-up.  I invited other volunteers to help pick up trash on a stretch of the Santa Cruz trek, one of the most popular treks in the Cordillera Blanca.  And I live at the trailhead!
The video had some issues uploading, but thanks to Tyler for editing yet another fabulous video of us hard at work (play).

The stars at night are incredible and I spend a long time just staring up at them when I'm brushing my teeth in the patio before bed.  The night sky is so clear that the Milky Way is very prominent.  It has been difficult to find constellations because even the small stars are bright, not to mention that I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and don't recognize anything (even with the aid of my star chart.)

I'm looking forward to a few upcoming trips.  I'll be celebrating my birthday on the beach at a marathon started by another Peace Corps volunteer.  I originally signed up so I could support a Peace Corps event, but it has been nearly impossible to train for the race.  The high altitude, the diet of potatoes and white rice, and several bouts of intestinal issues have been challenging.  Did I mention I rolled my ankle on a hike a couple months ago?  Silly me. 
Another exciting adventure will be at the end of July when we are planning a trip to the Amazon jungle.  Since most volunteers settle into their work schedule by the second year, I've decided to get some trips out of the way this first year while I'm not dedicated to a set schedule and projects yet.
A new development is the visit of my dear friends EJ and Linh in November.  EJ and I worked at Fleet Feet Sports together for several years, and we had been dreaming about visiting Macchu Picchu from the start of our friendship.  Little did we know that years later, I'd find myself placed in Peru.  How the universe works in wonderful ways!!
Lastly, the most anticipated travel plans are not to a jungle, beach, mountains, nor ancient civilization, but rather to the barren tundra of...
the United States.
Despite my original plans to stick out the 27 months without a visit home, I found last Christmas to be terribly lonely and not at all festive.  Being here living with another family from another culture has provided me with a deep appreciation for the quirks and comfort of my own family.  So, I booked my flight for Michigan/Pennsylvania for next Christmas and New Year's!!  This trip has had me day-dreaming about what I'm going to eat, who I'm going to see, and what kind of festive holiday decorations my mom's house will be decked out in.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment